CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

this is how we homeschool

This is how we are doing homeschool right now. Each week, we focus on an alphabet letter and do other activities to along with that letter. Gracelyn is learning to write her lowercase letters and Ella is learning to write her capital letters. This works out kind of nicly! Since I only use 5 workboxes for each girl, I break my lesson plans down into 5 categories: handwriting, phonics, math, art/crafts, other.


We mostly do school 3 days a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for about an hour. I feel that pretend play, dress-up, and unstructured play is very important for little ones. But, I also believe that children learn very quickly at a young age and are eager to learn new things and need to be exposed to new things.


One advantage of homeschooling is that you can broaden learning to other times and places. Learning can take place in the car, on a nature walk, helping with the garden or at the grocery store. Teaching and learning doesn't have to be a structured sit-down kind of lesson. That's my two cents anyway!

No comments: